Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Worst job ever.

So in my last post I commented that my worst job was washing dishes at Cracker Barrel, not so. I sadly was a door to door salesman, selling Kirby vacuums. Why, you ask, because the owner of the distributer that I worked for was a good salesman and sold me the job as a wonderful job. He told me that the set up the appointment and that sales mean absolutely nothing when it comes to the job and pay, saying that I was just paid to do demonstration.
What they didn’t say was the pay was crap, unless I made three sales a week, went to 5 team meeting. Also, by setting up appointments, they meant driving us around neighborhoods and take us the store to buy soft soap, to use as a gift for people to let us do the demo. And yes we had to use our own money to buy the soft soap.
Well, I made my 3 sales but when it came time for my bonus I was told that one of my sales didn’t count because the lady who bought one from my didn’t get approved for a normal loan and was going to have to have a subsidized loan instead, so even though she was going to get to keep her new Kirby, but I don’t get my bonus.
I tell this story to also tell my story of the first time I drank, not got drunk but drank, and not counting when I was little and took a sip out of my dad’s beer (spitting for hours trying to get the taste out of my mouth.
So they had this ritual if will, if the car made five sales in one day, then our team leader AKA Driver, would buy us all Smirnoff. And no, the did not care that I was only 19 as were some of my peers, no they did not care that we were all in a vehicle with open containers, and no they didn’t care that they were driving us back to our cars. I did drink some of mine, but I felt it was strong and I didn’t care for it much.

I worked there for a week, sadly one of my suckers…I mean costumers who I suckered into buying a vacuum, was my parents, so I will always have a reminder of my worst job ever.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

its about time you updated! :-P

hixenhill said...

My mother purchased a vacuum from one of you bloodsuckers. Lucky for me, the $1,600 piece of junk is guaranteed forever, from generation to generation. I can't wait to inherit it and show up at your house to sell it back to you.

DeeMarie said...

Yeah, that job wasn't good. And your parents are customers, not "costumers"... :p
As for the Smirnoff in an open container? You better hope your other sister doesn't read this!!!

Bubba said...

Oh i am sure she will read this if she hasn't already.

Unknown said...

You are grounded

Unknown said...

Umm, hello. Why are you not posting anything???

steenky bee said...

I worked at a drycleaners once. It sort of blew, except for free drycleaning.

MJ said...

My husband bought a vacuum from a door-to-door salesman, and he CURSES it. He's a little mean to sales guys now...

Sorry you got suckered into that job--at least you didn't stick with it very long.